Friday 4 May 2012

From them to me - Vintage Threads

During the week I had a migraine. Bleugh!   During it, my daughter came back from my parents with a carrier bag that 'Nana sent'.  I was too ill to look.

But the next day I was better and peeped.

Looking inside the bag

Some nice handles, lovely leaflets, and some nice quilted cushion panels.

The contents of the bag

But do you see what I see?

The tin of excitement
Yes! It is a Tin. A Tin of Excitement. A tin full of potential wondrousness.

I shook it. It did not rattle. It was not full of buttongloriana.

I opened the Tin.




The contents of the Tin of Excitement
 AAAAAGH!!!!!!!

The Contents spread Out for all to See and Splendour in

My heart leaped. And I was struck dumb with delight.  Thread! Vintage thread. Look at the colours! How wonderful! How beautiful! Feel the silkiness! Oh you cannot! But believe me it is wonderful.


These are the two main makes, both I have never heard of so please enlighten me if you can. Vicars and Britex.  Both made in England.
Vintage Thread - Vicars Raylene

The back

More Vintage Thread


Britex Art Silk
Do you think Britex Art Silk is really silk?


when I was able I rang my mum and she told me that my Dad was given them by his sister to give to me.  And the threads were probably my Grans.  My Gran did fine work.  She died twenty six years ago so it is lovely to have that connection across the years.

And hey the tin is pretty lovely too.

So the cushion pads will be finished and made in to cushions, the leaflets I will add to my collection. The bag handles are really really nice, but I might share with my sister as I like to play nice.

And as for the silks. I think you know what I am going to do with them, don't you?










BUTTONS!!

5 comments:

Amy, the Greedy Crocodile said...

Lovely!!! And it all looks so shiny and new!!

Heather Leavers said...

Ooooh I can feel your excitement - all ladies of a certain age had a tin like that, you never know what might be inside. The silks look lovely, whether they're "real" silk or not I wouldn't know, but I can see from your pics how lustrous the are. Lucky you, they're going to make fab buttons.

Boo's Jewellery said...

What a fabulous treasure-trove. I have some similar twisted hanks from my Grandmother and they're gorgeous to embroider with - very lustrous and luxurious looking. I'd always thought mine were rayon, I don't think they ever had labels on. Enjoy using them - and ensure that you keep something for yourself too.

x vInTaGe VioLeT x said...

ooh lovely silky threads! I love rayon so pretty to embroider with :)

Dotty said...

So special! I can feel how excited you are. I do love a nice tin:)