Tuesday 29 January 2013

Knit, Purl, Save the World - Book Review



Knit, Purl, Save the World   by Vickie Howell & Adrienne Armstrong



 
When I first browsed through this book I was disappointed that there were not more patterns using home-made recycled yarns.

Now what is that pertinent idiom? -  ‘never judge a book by its cover’!

On second, and further in depth perusals, it occurred to me that I want to knit more than bags using plastic bag yarn, or rugs made using t-shirt yarn. Therefore it would be nice to have an idea of what yarn there is available: from plants, from animals that is cruelty free and yes from handmade recycling.

But then again it is fine to have a book that recommends lots of eco-friendly yarns, but it is the patterns that are important for knitters and crocheters.  Luckily there are a broad range of lovely patterns in this book. I really like the pretty cardigans, and the socks and I was very happy when I saw the jute rug (I so want to crochet that rug). There are things for the body from top to toe, and for the home as well.




The authors are American, and so this book has USA terms for crochet, and the reader will have to check whether the yarns are available to other countries. There is a useful list of resources in the back, so it is worth looking there.

I like books that also have interesting bits to read. As this book is full of tips and facts, I am happy. 

 Knit, Purl, Save the World   by Vickie Howell & Adrienne Armstrong 
Published by David & Charles

1 comment:

Heather Leavers said...

I think that bag was my favourite pattern in the book.