Tuesday 27 August 2013

Tie-Dye by Shabd Simon-Alexander - Book Review



When I was a teenager I did tie-dying with elastic bands and shop bought dye.  It was messy and fun but I am not sure I ever wore anything I made as it all looked a bit...well.., ‘tie-dyish’. You know what I mean - a bit 1960s psychedelic hippy but not in a good way.

But I like dyeing. I like the art of taking one thing and creating something new with your own pattern and colour choice.

So when I was asked if I would like to review this book, I jumped at the chance and I am very happy to share with you this lovely book:

Tie-Dye  by Shabd Simon-Alexander






If you have read any of my other reviews then you know that I like a book that shows you how to do something, that challenges you but also one that you can just sit down with and browse (with a cup of tea).  This is a beautiful book – it looks attractive with gorgeous illustrations, colour charts and diagrams and it tells of the history of tie dye. So that is a tick on the last point.

It certainly challenges me as my previous dyeing had been using shop brought pre-mixed dyes.  This book uses fibre-reactive dyes that produce a stronger, longer lasting colour.  Tick.





 I have not any such dye in my craft stash but I soon will!  I will also very soon have all I need to dye following the instructions in this book.  Thank you Shabd, for introducing me to a wonderful, fun, creative craft.  I cannot wait to get hold of the dyes to have a play. Shabd has done all the hard work in giving instructions on colour mixing, and percentage of ingredients to use. There are instructions for stripes, dots, circles, on t-shirts, dresses, scarves, shirts.  Tick.



The book gives you all the instructions you need to tie dye and experiment.  The links given are USA based but I did some research and asked around and found out that it is easy enough to get hold of the dyes and the soda ash in the UK







I wanted to play right away and I used all I had to hand which was a Silk Painting kit that I bought in a charity shop.  One paint had dried up so I was left with red and yellow. But the kit also included a bit of silk.  So I was ready to go and using the instruction for the Crystalline Scarf I was off.

So when you look at these photos please remember that I did not use the correct dyes or have any soda ash!
  




However, I loved the results, and the book so much that I am champing at the bit to go dye more.

This is a book that will become dog-eared and well-thumbed with use as I intend to use it lots. 



Tie-Dye  by Shabd Simon-Alexander

Publisher: Potter Craft
ISBN  9780307965738
£14.99
Out now
 



2 comments:

Dotty said...

Wow! I love the effect you got- I think you are going to have a lot of fun with that book- just make sure you have a good pair of rubber gloves:)

Bigbluebed said...

Thank you Dotty. I do need to get in some special equipment. I do now have a couple of reddish tea-towels!