Sunday 30 March 2014

Hillarys Blinds Country Crafts Fabric Competition Part One

I like competitions as they challenge you. So I was excited to see this competition by Hillarys Blinds.
I chose the lovely Calluna Amethyst fabric, from the Country Retreat range, and when it arrived I waited for it to speak to me and tell me what it wanted to be!



It took a while as I knew I did not want to make a bag but was not sure what I did want.  But inspiration came as I thought how much I need more tunics to wear over my leggings and jeggings, and skinny jeans.  What about a little skirt which would come to the same length of a tunic but would also be a useful skirt?

I made a quick sketch on the bus one day.



After washing and drying and ironing the fabric, I started to create the shape I wanted with the help of Diana, my mannequin.

The back of the skirt
I started by creating shape with darts.


At this stage everything is still just pinned.

I am aiming for a slight A line, and used one skirt to give me the other side, by folding the fabric in half along the back line.



I then used the back to help me cut the fabric for the front, trying to keep the pattern in line.



NEXT PART - finishing the useful skirt.


1 comment:

Heather Leavers said...

OOOh - I'm very impressed. Who'd have thought there was enough fabric for a garment?